Okasha/1993, 333--334, records that the stone was first mentioned in 1602. By 1754 it had been used as a footbridge and then as part of a early 18th landscape folly. The stone is unlikely to have moved since at least 1799.
Stone associated with King Arthur because of a misreading of the inscription to include the word ATRY.
ii) Between 1540--1711 (probably before 1602) it was to be found on the roadside about 1 mile from Fowey.
iii) c. 1742 it had been dumped in a ditch a short distance from the cross-road along the Castledore road.
iv) Between 1803--1817 the stone was set upright at same spot (near Newton).
v) A short while before 1894, it was moved to the 'centre of the highway outside Menabilly Lodge gates'.
vi) 1971 stone had been moved a few metres to present position.
CISP is a very cool database. Tons of interesting history. Link…